Thursday 21 March 2013

DIY Orange Candle

I love candles but if I used them as much as I wanted it would cost quite a bit... However I heard you can make candle out of oranges so I gave it a go.

All you need is an orange, a knife, a spoon and any kind of cooking oil. Cut the top* 1/3 of the orange peel off, scoop out the orange fruit (eat this bit, waste not want not). When you scoop the fruit out do it gently as you dont want to break the peel or dislodge the stem. Fill up the orange with any king of cooking oil such as olive or vegetable oil to just under the top of the stem.  Make sure you dip the end of the stem into the oil for a few seconds to cover it just before you light it. It may take a few attempts to light but once lit it should last for 2 hours or more depending on the size of the orange.

*when I say top I mean top, not the bottom like I did on my first attempt...the shame. However I did sort of rectify it by placing the small top part with the stem into the bigger bottom part of the orange and filling that up with oil.

This is my first attempt (yes the one I did wrong) so excuse the roughness. Also take note of the amount of matchsticks next to it...patience is key!



Enjoy this post?

No comments:

Post a Comment