Saturday 15 April 2017

Crochet Calcifer


Who doesn't love a bit of Studio Ghibli? My favourite of them all being Howls Moving Castle.

I decided to make Calcifer for a friend after she got a tattoo of him on her (as she calls it)'Geek leg'.

If you don't know who Calcifer is then:

Boo!

I couldn't find a pattern for Calcifer that I liked on the Internet so I decided to give it a go myself, it seemed simple enough.

I started by crocheting a tear drop shape with yellow in the centre gradually moving to orange and then red to get the fire effect. The end result was a multicoloured teardrop which didn't really look like fire. Luckily I'd seen a few days before that brushing crochet projects makes them fluffy. Perfect. I gave it a go.

Brushing crochet (without a pet brush which is what your supposed to use apparently) takes a LONG time. So I sat for a while brushing this colourful tear drop, trying really hard to make it look even slightly like fire, until my hands ached and I had to give up.

The next day I picked it up again and spent another long while brushing until my hands ached and I gave up. Third time lucky it actually kinda, sorta looked like fire:


I added some white felt and beads for eyes and made a little Yarn mouth:


It's passable, I guess.

If your interested in my other Ghibli projects click Here.

The pattern for Calcifer can be found Here.

Hook off.

P.S. I have now purchased a pet brush for future fluffing up of crochet projects.


Enjoy this post?

No comments:

Post a Comment