Sunday 11 December 2016

DIY Mini Yarn Hat

A while back I fell in love with the tiny hats I made for the Crochet Santa Minion and the Crochet Snowmen. I had a great urge to make more this year but I want to make a LOT so I wanted to find an easier and quicker way than crochet.

Here it is:

I think these would be a great crafts for kids where they could choose whatever colour Yarn strips they want to make funky coloured hats!

To make these hats you need:
  • Yarn (I used some scrap Yarn in holiday colours but any colour would look awesome)
  • Scissors
  • Tape measure/ruler
  • Toilet roll or kitchen roll
  • Cotton balls
First cut the toilet roll or kitchen roll into Just under 1 inch pieces and cut the Yarn into approx 12 inch strips. For one hat I used 1 piece of toilet roll and between 40-60 strips of Yarn (depending on the Yarn thickness).


Next tie Larks head knots with the Yarn all the way around the toilet roll, here's how:

Take a piece of Yarn put the two ends together to fold the Yarn in half.


Put the looped end of the Yarn through the centre of the loop (this bit is important to keep the hat nice and neat  - Loop through the MIDDLE of the toilet roll, I realised this on my third attempt). The Yarn ends will go around the outside of the toilet roll and through the loop of the Yarn. Pull the ends tight, but not too tight mind.




Continue tying the knots the same way all around the toilet roll loop.


It will end up looking like this. Straighten out all the Yarn out getting rid of any tangles. 


Hold all the Yarn ends together, twist all the Yarn (about half a turn will do) push the twist of Yarn through the toilet roll so the ends end up on the other side. The twist in the Yarn is important as it keeps all the Yarn ends nice and tight whilst they are pushed through the loop. Straighten out all the Yarn ends again getting rid of any tangles.




Tie a piece of Yarn around all the Yarn ends nice and tight- to make a loop so the hats can hang tie the ends of the same piece of Yarn together.


Gently push 1 piece of cotton wool inside the hat for extra plumpness.


Give the mini hat a haircut to make it look a little neater, however the scruffy look is pretty fun too, then fluff out the Yarn ends.


Here are a few I've made so far, I am planning to make many more. I love them!



Enjoy this post?

No comments:

Post a Comment