Sunday 12 January 2014

DIY Paper Candle Cover

I'm obsessed with tree silhouettes at the moment so I was brain storming what I could make involving trees.

I came up with the idea of making a candle cover thinking that the candle light behind a tree would look good.

Here's what I used:

  • Plain white A4 paper
  • Tissue Paper (I chose red)
  • A4 card (I chose orange, I have no red)
  • Scissors
  • Pencil
  • Rubber
  • Ruler
  • Glue stick
  • Craft knife
  • Craft Board
First I decided how wide I wanted the cover to be so that it would fit around the candle without being too close to the candle. I decided 8cm by 8cm was big enough for the base. Here's the diagram I made:


I folded a plain A4 piece of paper 8cm from the edge and then folded the paper again 16cm from the edge. I also made a small flap of 5mm after the second fold. The flap is shown in the diagram as the darker gery area.I also drew a 5mm border within the two folds as shown with the orange lines in the diagram. 

Then I drew the design i wanted within the two borders: 


These are the two tree designs I wanted. The shaded parts of the paper are the parts I cut out using the craft knife.(When using a craft knife I always use a craft board underneath the paper as to not damage any surfaces. At the moment I'm using a wooden chopping board).


I then cut the tissue paper to the same size as the tree diagram above and glued it on (I glued the tissue paper onto the side that had pencil markings on so that the front would look 'clean'):


The orange card was cut next. I cut this to the exact same size as the original A4 paper; so I folded the card at 8cm and 16cm as I did with the A4 paper, then I added the 5mm flap to the end and cut it out. Then I used the flaps to glue to paper to the card. 



When the tea light candle is on I think it looks like a sunrise behind trees. However I do prefer the tree on the left to the tree on the right. The one on the right looks more like a leaf... trial and error! 


To keep the naked flame away from the paper my tea light candle is in a candle holder:  


No fires thank you!

(Feel free to copy/amend the design but make sure you link back to this blog if you use it.)



No comments:

Post a Comment