Friday 3 January 2014

Crochet For Charity

I've just completed my first square for the charity knit-a-square. Although the charity has 'knit' in the title they also ask for crochet squares too. My square is crochet (I don't knit) I used the scraps I had from making my Crochet Creeper. The colour isn't exactly uniform but when your using scraps it's never going to be uniform but this adds to its uniqueness. What better way to use scrap yarn than for charity!



This is an 8 inch by 8 inch square, 35 of these make one blanket that gives an orphan warmth and comfort. 

The square took me longer than expected but this is due to having to attach many scraps of yarn to make the square and I'm still not that great at crocheting in rows. This gave me a bit of practice though. The pattern I used was based on one of the patterns the knit-a-square charity website recommends; the pattern has no holes therefore will be warmer. Find the pattern Here

My square looks different to the square shown with the pattern as I used front loop stitches instead of back loop stitches just to see what it would look like. The end effect is thin cables rather than thick cables, it's not easy to see on my picture. Also as I'm not very good a crocheting in rows the square was slightly rectangle when I got towards the end so I added an extra row or two to one edge to make it square again. Shhhh as long as you don't look too close you can't tell. 

I like giving something to a charity that isn't just money because then you know that your not just paying for admin or advertisement. Check out the charity Here they don't just accept squares but hats, vests and pullovers etc. too. There are more free patterns on the website for crochet and knit projects.  

Click Here for more charity blogs. 

Enjoy this post?

No comments:

Post a Comment