Sunday 29 December 2013

DIY Minion Snowflake

I wanted to make a Minion Snowflake but I couldn't find a design on the internet. After doing a few Star Wars ones I decided to give my own design a go. 

Here's what I used:

  • Pencil
  • Rubber
  • Paper
  • Scissors
  • Craft board
  • Craft knife (optional)
  • Compass (or anything circular to draw around) 
The craft knife is optional for this design as it can be made just using scissors, this can be a bit tricky on the small cuts so a craft knife may be better. Saying that I managed with just scissors. The craft board is anything that's going to protect the surface you are working on from being damage by the craft knife. At the moment I'm just using a wooden chopping board.

So first I drew a circle on the paper and cut it out. The size of the circle doesn't matter but the smaller the circle the trickier it's going to be to cut out the design:


Then folded the paper in half: 


Opened up the circle and folded the circle in half again to make quarters. There is now a center line on the semicircle:


I then folded the right side up in-front of the semicircle and made a fold about a third of the way to the center line:


Then folding the right side again but underneath the semicircle to the center line (like an accordion fold) all the fold should now be underneath the paper: 


The same goes for the left side. I folded the left side up in-front of the circle and made a fold about a third of the way to the center line:


Then folding the left side again but underneath the paper to the center line (like an accordion fold) all the fold should now be underneath the paper: 


I drew a star on the paper just to show where the design is to be drawn. I then folded the paper along the center line: 


This is the design I used to make the Minion. The shaded areas are the areas that I cut out: 


I cut out the shaded parts, the hair is tricky to cut: 


Then I CAREFULLY unfolded the paper so as not to rip anything: 


It's not perfect but for a first design it will do, I may amend it for Christmas 2014. It would be great to see other people having a go!

(Feel free to copy/amend the design but make sure you link back to this blog if you do use it.)






Enjoy this post?

No comments:

Post a Comment