Sunday 8 December 2013

Crochet Rose

My auntie loves roses and has taken an interest in my crocheting as she loves to knit. So I'm making her some roses. I searched for a good amount of time trying to find a really nice pattern for a rose which incorporated a stem.

These are the three I've made so far:

The pattern I based these on can be found here. Coincidentally this pattern was designed by PlanetJune who also designed the pattern I used when making my Mothers Day crochet daffodils. She sells many great patterns and has a few for free check her out! 

The rose pattern is not to difficult to make and it's very well explained and really easy to follow. Each of the roses I made are different sizes. I used DK yarn and a size 3.5mm crochet hook for the first one, for this my stitches were quite tight as I'm so used to crocheting tightly. The second one I used the same DK yarn but with a 4.5mm crochet hook and looser stitches, so this rose was slightly bigger. Then for the larger rose I used two DK yarns together and a size 5.5mm crochet hook. 

I've never used two yarns together in crochet before not sure what I was expecting but it's exactly like crocheting with one yarn just thicker. I had to make the calyx bigger for this rose as the one in the pattern would have been a bit to small (unless I doubled up on the green yarn of course, but I don't have two balls of the green). Another issue I had with the larger rose was that the pipe cleaner I used wasn't strong enough to hold up the flower. It looked a bit unwell... so I used extra reinforcement for the stem. All in all I think it went well. 

This picture shows the size difference a bit clearer (small on the right, medium on the left, large in the middle): 


I just need to decide how many I'm going to make and then find a vase to put them in. 




Enjoy this post?

No comments:

Post a Comment