Saturday 14 March 2015

Charity Crochet- Grit Stitch, Spike Stitch, Linen Stitch

I've made three more squares for Knit-a-Square. For each one I have tried a new stitch.

Grit Stitch Square 

I found this stitch very easy to do, all that's needed is single crochets, skip stitches and increases. It is a very repetitive stitch and once I got in a rhythm it didn't really take much thought to complete. It was quite relaxing to make this square, one that's easy to sit and watch TV whilst making. The end product is quite thick and warm with no gaps and it looks very neat and similar on both sides. I used two scrap pieces of yarn held together (both pieces were both quite thin) to make this square, not really my favourite colour choice but it does the job.


Linen Stitch Square

This stitch looks amazing... in my opinion anyway. The way different colours fit together using this stitch looks so good, there are many projects that would look great with this stitch. I found the stitch easy when I got used to it, at the beginning I wasn't sure I was doing it correctly as it looked a little odd. However after a few rows it looked right. For this square I picked out six colours from my scrap yarn stash that I thought looked nice together. I picked one at random for each row I did so there is no colour order, I think it worked out well.


The stitch looks slightly different on each side. I'm not quite sure which side is the front and which is the back but I guess that can be chosen depending on the project. I think both sides look great.



Spike Stitch Square

The spike stitch looks very effective and can be done in so many ways to give different results. I looked up how to complete the stitch (click the link above) and just did what I thought would look good and wasn't too complicated for my first go. This stitch took a little time to get used to, the yarn tension of the spikes was a little tricky at first as I kept doing them too tight, I am a tight crocheter after all. With a bit of practice I got the hang of it. The Stitch takes a little concentration to make sure that the 'spike' is going through the correct row, other than that it's quite an easy stitch.

For the square I just picked random colours out of my bag of scrap yarns. Not sure some of the colours were the best choice for this stitch... but at least I know not to use busy yarns for this stitch in the future.


This stitch looks slightly different on each side, both sides look pretty good though, in my opinion.

(Front)

(Back)

Check out my other charity blogs Here.

Enjoy this post?

No comments:

Post a Comment