Skip to main content

DIY Suspended Hamster Treat Toy

Here's a quick and cheap toy I make for Tim quite regularly.


Equipment:

  • Toilet roll tube/kitchen roll tube
  • Natural String (important see 'Safety' below)  
  • Scissors
  • Hamster food/treats




I save all my toilet roll tubes and kitchen roll tubes etc to make toys for Tim. This is the best toilet roll tube toy I have made so far they seem to keep Tim entertained for a while and only takes me 5 minutes to make.

All I do it grab a tube fold in one end of the tube and place some food/treats in the tube.

 

Then I fold the other end of the tube so that the treats cannot fall out.

 

I then use the scissors to make two small holes as the top of the tube, thread the string through the holes and tie to the top of the cage. 

 

Voilà!

The first time I made this toy Tim ignored it completely because he couldn't smell the food that was in there. To make him more interested I pulled open one of the ends a little so that he could smell the food and he was all over it. After that whenever I put one of these toys in his cage he knows there is something good inside so no need to make it easy for him. In fact now I try to make it a bit harder by wrapping the food/treats in tissue before putting them into the tube. This takes him a little longer to get to the goodies and he can use the tissue for bedding after, win win.

Safety!

  • Only use scissors if there is an adult with you.
  • Only put hamster safe items into the cage. 
  • Only use natural string as this has not been treated with nasty chemicals which can cause illness.
Here's Tim enjoying his Supsended Treat Toy:



(Excuse the bad images I was too amused to notice the reflections)

Click Here for other Hamster posts.

Enjoy this post?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crochet Waistcoat (with link to free pattern)

I love waistcoats and have spent a lot of time looking for a crochet waitcoat pattern that I actually like. When came across one that I would actually wear I added it straight to my to do list! I think it is quite smart and simple looking (just the way I like things). Here it is: This is the first piece of clothing that I have made and I really like the way it has turned out. The patterns is well written and easy to follow, however I did have to keep trying the waistcoat on as I was making it because I have a very small build and most 'normal' sized clothes do not fit me. After making a few adjustments to the pattern the waistcoat fits perfectly. It is so comfortable and looks great over a shirt, I have had a few compliments whilst wearing it so overall a great make. The pattern is quite simple as far as clothes patterns go, it took me about two days to make, I probably could have done it in one day if I had the time. Find the pattern  Here . Find other clothing po...

Hamster DIY - Suspended Crochet Bridge

To make this bridge I used all natural Jute string a 5.5mm crochet hook. I made the stitches  VERY  tight so that Tims little paws wouldn't get stuck in any gaps, this took quite a bit of effort as the Jute string is very stiff.  SC- Single Crochet Chain 14  (or as many needed to made the bridge wide enough)  Row 1: SC in each chain along, turn Row 2 - 35: SC in each stitch along, turn (add or decrease the amount of rows to create a longer or shorter bridge) Finish off.  Tie a length of string to each corner of the piece to make supports and hang securely in the cage. To make the supports stronger I used two pieces of string in each corner and tied the pieces together all the way along.  Safety! Only use materials that are safe for a hamster. Make sure there are NO gaps for little feet to get caught in. Don't hang the bridge too high from the ground and make sure there is lots of soft bedding beneath the bridge in...

Crochet Calcifer Pattern

'May all your bacon burn' I made Calcifer a while ago find the post  here . I have since been asked to make more on request so whilst making the most recent one I decided to write down the pattern. Now I have it to hand if any more requests come through. So I am sharing my pattern here. If you do use this pattern please link any photos/blog posts ect back to my pattern so that others can enjoy it too! Things I used: DK yarn (yellow, orange and red) Scissors Stitch marker 3mm crochet hook yarn needle Two 4mm black beads  Clear thread (or white thread to sew on the beads)  White felt  Toy Stuffing Pet brush Pattern:  sc = single crochet dc = double crochet  tc = triple crochet ch = chain  Begin with yellow yarn - chain 6 and create a magic ring: Round 1: 2 sc in each stitch around (12 stitches). Round 2: *sc in next stitch, 2 sc in next stitch* repeat around (18 stitches). Round 3: *sc in next two stitches, 2 sc in nex...