Tuesday 12 August 2014

DIY Suspended Hamster Treat Toy

Here's a quick and cheap toy I make for Tim quite regularly.


Equipment:

  • Toilet roll tube/kitchen roll tube
  • Natural String (important see 'Safety' below)  
  • Scissors
  • Hamster food/treats




I save all my toilet roll tubes and kitchen roll tubes etc to make toys for Tim. This is the best toilet roll tube toy I have made so far they seem to keep Tim entertained for a while and only takes me 5 minutes to make.

All I do it grab a tube fold in one end of the tube and place some food/treats in the tube.

 

Then I fold the other end of the tube so that the treats cannot fall out.

 

I then use the scissors to make two small holes as the top of the tube, thread the string through the holes and tie to the top of the cage. 

 

VoilĂ !

The first time I made this toy Tim ignored it completely because he couldn't smell the food that was in there. To make him more interested I pulled open one of the ends a little so that he could smell the food and he was all over it. After that whenever I put one of these toys in his cage he knows there is something good inside so no need to make it easy for him. In fact now I try to make it a bit harder by wrapping the food/treats in tissue before putting them into the tube. This takes him a little longer to get to the goodies and he can use the tissue for bedding after, win win.

Safety!

  • Only use scissors if there is an adult with you.
  • Only put hamster safe items into the cage. 
  • Only use natural string as this has not been treated with nasty chemicals which can cause illness.
Here's Tim enjoying his Supsended Treat Toy:



(Excuse the bad images I was too amused to notice the reflections)

Click Here for other Hamster posts.

Enjoy this post?

No comments:

Post a Comment