Skip to main content

Wolf String Art


String art is getting more popular at the moment. I've been wanting to try it for a while now, I just needed an excuse to give it a go. A friend and I make gifts for each other each Christmas so this was my excuse. However I didn't get to see him until April so this post had to wait.

It took me a while to decide what picture I wanted to try with string art. I didn't want my first string art project to be something really complicated but I also wanted it to look good, as it was a gift. Trying to find something that my friend would like, that wasn't too complicated, was difficult. He loves wolves so I was determined to make a wolf.

I think I spent more time trying to decide on a picture to try than actually making the thing. I also spent ages trying to find some wood. So I ended up buying a chopping board... may not have been the best idea though as I will explain in a bit.

So what I used:
-nails
-poster paint
-thin string
-chopping board
-paint brush
-hammer
-sandpaper
-pencil
-paper

I drew the pattern on paper first so I knew where abouts to put the nails on the board. Then I painted the board with two coats of black (however as I decided to buy a chopping board I had to sand down the board first because it had a coating that would have affected the paint). After the paint dried (I left it overnight) I cut out the drawing so that I could use it as a template for the nails (again this was a mistake, I will explain later). I actually didn't hammer in the nails I gave that job to my partner... who struggled because chopping board wood is very hard, who knew?! So the nails had a tenancy to bend whilst being hammered into the wood. This is very annoying to a perfectionist like me so I'm very glad my partner was doing it...

The problem with using paper as a template is that paper sticks to poster paint. Again - who knew? So I had to try and peel the paper off between all the nails that had just been hammered into the wood, not an easy task I'll have you know. It ended up needing a wet sponge.

Eventually after removing all the WHITE paper from the BLACK background I started to add the string. I pretty much just made the string part up as I went along. I have never seen string art being made before so it was all just guess work on my part. Some parts of the design were very tricky, such as the legs of the wolf, but on the most part it was OK. I did find myself undoing chunks of it that I wasn't happy with first time round, but all in all I think it went quite well. I think the trickiest part of this was trying to make teeny tiny knots in the string invisible whilst keeping the string tight around the nails. If there is a knack to this I do not have it, I did find this very frustrating.

The end result, however, is pretty awesome, if  I do say so myself... even with the bent nails. I would happily have this piece of artwork in my home.



I want to make some more string art as I love the end result. Obviously now I have some mistakes to learn from and now I have more of an idea of how to lay the string out. Also as a gift for Christmas my Grandma gave me my very own handy and pretty hammer,without even knowing I was getting into string art.

What a perfect excuse to make more art!

Enjoy this post?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crochet Waistcoat (with link to free pattern)

I love waistcoats and have spent a lot of time looking for a crochet waitcoat pattern that I actually like. When came across one that I would actually wear I added it straight to my to do list! I think it is quite smart and simple looking (just the way I like things). Here it is: This is the first piece of clothing that I have made and I really like the way it has turned out. The patterns is well written and easy to follow, however I did have to keep trying the waistcoat on as I was making it because I have a very small build and most 'normal' sized clothes do not fit me. After making a few adjustments to the pattern the waistcoat fits perfectly. It is so comfortable and looks great over a shirt, I have had a few compliments whilst wearing it so overall a great make. The pattern is quite simple as far as clothes patterns go, it took me about two days to make, I probably could have done it in one day if I had the time. Find the pattern  Here . Find other clothing po...

Hamster DIY - Suspended Crochet Bridge

To make this bridge I used all natural Jute string a 5.5mm crochet hook. I made the stitches  VERY  tight so that Tims little paws wouldn't get stuck in any gaps, this took quite a bit of effort as the Jute string is very stiff.  SC- Single Crochet Chain 14  (or as many needed to made the bridge wide enough)  Row 1: SC in each chain along, turn Row 2 - 35: SC in each stitch along, turn (add or decrease the amount of rows to create a longer or shorter bridge) Finish off.  Tie a length of string to each corner of the piece to make supports and hang securely in the cage. To make the supports stronger I used two pieces of string in each corner and tied the pieces together all the way along.  Safety! Only use materials that are safe for a hamster. Make sure there are NO gaps for little feet to get caught in. Don't hang the bridge too high from the ground and make sure there is lots of soft bedding beneath the bridge in...

Crochet Calcifer Pattern

'May all your bacon burn' I made Calcifer a while ago find the post  here . I have since been asked to make more on request so whilst making the most recent one I decided to write down the pattern. Now I have it to hand if any more requests come through. So I am sharing my pattern here. If you do use this pattern please link any photos/blog posts ect back to my pattern so that others can enjoy it too! Things I used: DK yarn (yellow, orange and red) Scissors Stitch marker 3mm crochet hook yarn needle Two 4mm black beads  Clear thread (or white thread to sew on the beads)  White felt  Toy Stuffing Pet brush Pattern:  sc = single crochet dc = double crochet  tc = triple crochet ch = chain  Begin with yellow yarn - chain 6 and create a magic ring: Round 1: 2 sc in each stitch around (12 stitches). Round 2: *sc in next stitch, 2 sc in next stitch* repeat around (18 stitches). Round 3: *sc in next two stitches, 2 sc in nex...